Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Story – The Planning before the Flight

ͼͽVisa - Vietnam ͼͽ
First thing that we needed to sort out for Vietnam was the Visa. I usually have lots of bad luck so I wasn’t planning to do my Visa on the spot in a Vietnam airport. Or bribe an official like I have heard in many of my friends stories (hand your passport over with $20 cash in it). So I completed my Visa before I left. I got the multi entry Visa because I was planning to jump across into Cambodia/Laos and back into Vietnam for my return flight home.
You can get a single entry or multi entry visa. I did this through a dodgy Asian tour agent. He is working in a travel agency in Perth, Northbridge. He sent off the passport and I got a yellow posit as a receipt. I was worried I might never get a call back after giving him my $150. I know it is expensive but it was for peace of mind I hope to accomplish by parting with my money.
Just to note Perth travel agents are shit…I must have left my details at 3 travel agents for a call back regarding my trip planning. Did any call me back NO!!! I gave travel agents one more shot when I went to Taiwan. NO CALL back as well. Now I know better, never will I waste my time on travel agent.

ͼͽVisa - Cambodia ͼͽ
Cambodia Visa can be granted on arrival. But it can be only granted on certain spots along the Vietnam/Cambodia border. I choose by river ;) You can take a boat up Meekong River departing from Chau Doc.
It is a long trip by boat but so cheap! It takes about 7 hours. It also feels very dodgy like you are an illegal immigrant. If you have the balls to rough it out and feel the heat of taking a steam boat up the river for 7 hours then I highly recommend it.
However if you want to go via speed boat Victoria Hotel can do this for you, it costs approximately $100USD I believe.
Victoria Hotel – Chau Doc >>>
Some information from the Victoria website
Fixed Boat Departures:
* Daily departure from Chau Doc to Phnom Penh: 7:00 AM
* Daily departure from Phnom Penh to Chau Doc: 1:30 PM
Speedboat rates:
* 95 US$ + per person, per way, with minimum 4 persons per boat trip - Valid from 01 October 2009 to 30 September 2010.



ͼͽThe Hardware ͼͽ
Being my first chance to do a real trip through the outback of Asia, I needed to account for everything. I done little planning on what I might face so I guessed what I should take. I needed some hardware.
First was a suitable backpack, mild first aid, pocket knife, money, carry on bag, suitable clothes, torch, camera gear, power adapter, money belt and security devices.

ͼͽThe Backpack ͼͽ
I went with Tatonka bags >>>
I chose the 75lt Yukon Tatonka.
Why? I was impressed with the waist harness. it felt very sturdy and diverted a lot of weight off my back. Had all the pockets I needed as well as a removable partition in the middle of the bag and raincoat. I didn’t want a removable smaller pack because I already had a carry on. I also opted to spend a little extra hoping that the quality will last me in lots of my next travels.
My fellow travellers went with a Caribee Dakar backpack 65lt I believe. I was very impressed as this backpack was value for money. I think my bag was about $240 shipped. Theirs was 140ish I believe?
They have a removable smaller back (day pack) and what I loved was the harness cover for convenient travel/storage (i.e. airplanes bag check).
My Bag! That I bought from Wild Earth

ͼͽThe Pocket Knife ͼͽ
I didn’t look into these to much I went straight for Leatherman as I knew it was a name I could trust and I didn’t like the Victorinox Swiss Army setup. I like having a pair of pliers hence the Leatherman.
And my Leatherman was a >>> Skeletool CX
You be surprised how handy and versatile a knife is. I think that is why in NCIS one of the important rules is always carry a knife.
I didn’t care for all the gimmicks e.g. a nail file, or wood saw or whatever they now include into the Leatherman. I wanted the simple stuff screw driver, knife and pliers (also with wire cutters).
Oh and a bottle top opener extremely handy in Vietnam since you always need to pop open those beers.
Boy is the Skeletool CX one crazy knife, it would do some serious damage to whatever needs slashing/cutting etc.

ͼͽThe Camera Gear ͼͽ
I intend to make a full page of my gear ^_^ I wish I took more photos of them...My Babies!!

ͼͽThe smaller things in life ͼͽ
I always recommend those money belts that go under the shirt. I don’t want to loose a wallet with lots of money. Money belt is a safe place to store that extra coin for the big purchases.
I bought a small first aid kit don’t ask me what is in it. Never opened it. My favourite first aid tool is medical tape…I use that on everything, no need for band aids.
I made a plan to buy some Po Chai pills in Sg for the upset stomach I knew I was bound to encounter. I also planned to get some tiger balm.
Instead of buying a country power adapter I recommend a universal one. Also a double adapter just encase you have two devices. E.g. mobile phone and camera battery.

No comments:

Post a Comment